Important Read: How Happy Is Your Vagina?
Weather It’s Waxed, Shaved Or Good-Old’70s Bushy, Your Vagina’s Wellness Is About More Than Your Preferences, It’s About Knowing The Rules.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO MAKE YOURS A HAPPY ONE
A healthy vagina is a happy vagina. but in the last decade, advances in cosmetic surgery and even endorsements from celebs have seen women do some of the most ludicrous and often harmful things to their vaginas, all in the name of making it happy. but there really is no need to improve on the design.
Dr Nafisat Ahmed, a consultant at the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital set the record straight; “the vagina, like any other part of the body has a pH balance. it will keep itself hygienic unless you start using products that will alter or completely change that pH balance. ”
essentially what governs the pH is bacteria that live in the body. “this bacteria produces acid that keeps the vagina moist and improve the flora of the vagina, while killing off unwanted organisms, “explains Dr Nafisat. So what are some of the things that you can do to keep your vagina, and by extension yourself, healthy and happy
· WATER YOUR GARDEN: Dr Nafisat says “all women should get into the practice of wiping their vaginas with clean water and clean cloth after using the toilet. ” the same goes for after bathtime. you sweat during the day, so using a soap bar that has similar pH balance to that of your vagina (such as Dove) to wipe the labia of your vagina is fine, Dr Nafisat says but she cautions against using any soap internally.
· SAVOUR THE FLAVOUR: From flavoured condoms to scented pads, women have an unhealthy obsession with smelling fruity or flowery down there. there is nothing wrong with your vagina’s original, unhampered with scent. using perfume products such as pantyliners, pads or condoms are the number one cause of recurrent vaginal discharges warns Dr Nafisat.
· STEAM YOUR VEG NOT YOUR VAG: We’ve seen everyone from Tia and Tamera Mowry to Gwyneth Paltrow endorsing steaming one’s vagina, but Dr Nafisat strictly warns against this practice. “the vagina is sensitive. heat and chemicals will break the barrier of the thin inner skin. if you’re opening pores when you steam your face, you can imagine the damage you are doing to the vagina tissue.” she says vegetables can handle the steam not your vagina.
· WIPE AFTER SEX: To Dr Nafisat, foreplay starts with food because “what you eat manifests through the openings in your body. it is good practice to use a clean cloth and water to Wilson and around the vagina to remove any juices that may have been produced during intercourse. don’t use wipes as these are often scented and will disrupt the pH.” I’m not saying you should immediately jump out of bed after a passionate monument, but don’t give foreign organisms a chance to fester. Dr Nafisat also raises awareness of the harm in sharing sex toys, “sex toys are big transmitters of Sexual Sransmitted Infections,”she says. Even if it’s just you and one partner, make sure the toys are cleaned properly and that a new condom is used for a new orifice at all the time.
· LET THE LIGHT IN: women tend to choose underwear that’s just pretty but according to Dr Nafisat, Lacey underwear and G-strings hold onto unwanted organisms and pass then from one area of the genitals to another -like from the anal area to the vagina -so they don’t recommend them. “cotton based underwear is the best as it doesn’t go inside the vagina,”she advices. “when washing these, make sure you use small amount of a soap that is close to your vagina’s pH and make sure you rinse it well.” Do not use washing machine detergents, as these are too harsh and avoid hanging your undies in a dark bathroom to dry. Dr Nafisat says, there are microscopic spores that stick onto fabric but direct light from the sun will kill those. be sure you hang your underwear where it can be dried by the sun rays.
· DON’T BE A DOUCH-ER: “Put perfume on your neck, not on your vagina “warns Dr Nafisat. the practice of douching sees women spraying various fluids into the vagina in other to clean and give it a pleasant smell. everything that is scented or flavoured completely tips the balance of the pH of your system. Douching is not a practice that is encouraged from medical point of view. rather clean with clean water.
· CHECK YOURSELF: Although eating plain yoghurt is a popular home remedy for urinary track infection and other similar symptoms, Dr Nafisat recommends seeking the advice of a professional if u suspect something is amiss in your nether region.”unflavoured and unsweetened plain yoghurt is a natural probiotic pills,”says Dr Nafisat. but strawberry yoghurt, for example will do more harm than good. from your teeth to your genitals, sugar kills off good bacterias. this can cause condition such as thrush.
“ANALYSE YOUR HERBITS THEN SEE A DOCTOR IF YOUR DISCHARGE IS WHITE OR REQUIRES A PANTYLINER” SHE ADVISED
You may be interested
CROC CITY MAGAZINE LAUNCH IN PICTURES, 31ST MARCH 2018 AT ASD CITY MALL ROOFTOP(SHIFU)admin - Apr 01, 2018
We bring to you photos from Croc City Magazine Launch which took place on the 31st of March 2018 at the ASD City…
EXCLUSIVE PICTURES OF THE GRAND OPENING OF JODECI LOUNGE, KADUNAadmin - Feb 10, 2018
This is an exclusive coverage on the grand opening of JODECI LOUNGE, No 6 Somalia Crescent, Barnawa, Kaduna on 9th February, 2018. This…
CORPS MEMBERS TROOP OUT IN MASS TO PROTEST IN KADUNAadmin - Dec 13, 2017
Today in Kaduna state, both serving and immediate past ex corps members trooped out in mass to protest non payment of two months…